There is only one way to start this post:
What is wrong with kids today? They’re not even trying! In my day, we earned our Halowe’en candy, by God!
Observed on Savannah Halowe’en 2006:
- Kids without costumes. WTF? Would you ever have considered having the balls to go tricker treating in shorts and a t-shirt? So far about a quarter of the kids at our door were in street clothes. Not even fake blood trickling from the mouth.
- The grabbing hands (grab all they can). Again, WTF? I started the evening letting kids choose a candy from the big pasta pot. That ended after the McGrabby sisters cleared out a third of our candy!
- Not saying “Thank you” even when reminded by mom!
- Trick-or-treating teens…without little siblings in tow!
- Trick-or-treating teens…without little siblings in tow…or costumes!
- Trick-or-treating adults…without children in tow!
- Trick-or-treating adults…without children in tow…or costumes! WTF?!
- I didn’t even have time to hook up spooky sounds outside. Next year we do it up right!
- A little boy and girl gave Annika some of their candy at our door! My heart melted! Almost makes up for the McGrabby sisters.
- Little black Dracula! His three older brothers were not in costume, but this dapper five-year-old gentleman had a cape, vest, medallion, teeth, blood, the works! Luckily, I didn’t call him Blackula I can’t assume five-year-olds in Savannah have seen that fine film…or Pee Wee’s Playhouse.
- Lots of “Thank you”s…a few of which were prompted by moms.
- Annika carefully placing some candy in a few trick-or-treater bags!
- Annika was initially scared of our jack-o-lantern…but eventually said “Hi pumpkin!” They are friends now and he’s not scary.
- A little black girl wearing the exact same ballerina outfit that Annika’s wearing! Her mom: “They’re twins! that’s so cute!”
- “Oh! look at that big ol’ dog! He scary!”
- Mom on sidewalk: “Jus’ empty out all yo candy into their bags an you be done fo the night!”
- “Y’all got any bottled water? We’re thirsty!”*
- On the satellite dish, Mommie Dearest has been running over and over on Oxygen right next door to Friday the 13th and Nightmare on Elm Street on the programming grid. Spoooooky!
*On trip number two to the store to restock on candy I got a case of little water bottles. They went fast! Who’d have thunk that the most popular treat would be water! How very Tank Girl.